31.1.14

Dragon Dance


    As far as I can remember, I have always been under the chinese culture's spell. As a toddler my very first fancy dress was a red chinese satin "pyjamas" outfit together with a conic paper hat fitted with a jet black wool super long braid that undoubtedly matched my short blond hair… 
    Later in the eighties my father came home from a trip to China with my first collectible silk scarf. 
Naturally, the first time I stepped foot in a restaurant with my parents, it was a chinese cuisine one (I remember very well the blurred image of a female nudity at the bottom of the sweet rice wine adult goblet….). 
    In the nineties, I was struck by the breathtaking power of my then cherished photographer's pictures at a Paris exhibition : Marc Riboud (In China) and Henri Cartier-Bresson. Since, the Chinese cinema has animated my nights from "The Green Papaya scent" (trailer here), "Raise the Red Lantern" (trailer here), "Farewell my concubine"(trailer here), "House of Flying daggers" (trailer here) to "Beijing Bicycle" (trailer here)…. I stop here because the list would be endless.
    So, I very naturally never miss an opportunity to celebrate an emblematic and colourful event in the chinese calendar : the unique and rhythmic Dragon Dance opening the Chinese New Year's feast. (A.D)

Happy Year of the Horse to the chinese community all over the world!




















trousers : H&M | black top : Issey Miyake | shoes : Zara | necklace : Zara | dragon mask : home made

No comments:

Post a Comment